Can a lump be caused by muscle strain in the neck?

ENT Specialist
can muscle strain and tightness in the left side of my neck cause a small lump?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 16 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Neck sprain and stiffness cannot induce a small lump. In rare cases whenever there is tear of the muscles due to sudden strain it can form a lump but it would be really painful and most seen in the weight bearing areas.

I feel the lump you are noticing in the neck could be a lymph node (gland) which has appeared due to some infection around the site of lump. Accidentally, you might have noticed the lump during the strain and it is a mere coincidence.

No need to worry, this could be a cervical lymph node which is harmless and lymph node act like policemen of our body, indicating an ongoing infection in the surrounding area.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon