Ask a Dentist   »  

Can a loose tooth fall out while sleeping? What could be the consequences?

This is probably a dental question, but maybe you can answer.
Can a loose tooth fall out while sleeping? If so, what could be the consequences?

Thank you
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 30 minutes later
XXXXXX I would be glad to answer your query.
It is extremely rare for a tooth to fall out while a person is asleep. But it can happen in some cases when a person has periodontitis, where most of the teeth are mobile.
Also, if you lose a tooth while asleep there are chances of aspirating it (getting it into your wind pipe), but i hope you have not experienced such a situation. Typical symptoms would be cough, difficulty breathing etc
Bleeding is one of the consequences, but it usually stops within 15-20 minutes.
i hope I answered your query. In case you have any more queries kindly post them, i would be glad to answer them.
I wish you good health