Can a long term infection in the leg cause blood pressure issues?

My wife has been suffering from blood pressure problems where the pressure is very high and then drops very low. For example, 210/110 and drops to 70/40. She is currently hospitalized for passing out 4 times and not able to stand on her own. The cardiologist has run every test in the book and found nothing but she also has an infection in the leg that the Drs. simply ignored until I once again pointed it out. Can a long term infection in the leg cause blood pressure issues such as she is having? This infection has been going on for over a year and once it is declared well it breaks out again in a few weeks. The wound has an odor and they have started her on Invanz and Vancomycin.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload the test results of your wife... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you are right, infection/inflammation can cause oscillations to the blood pressure. Once the infection is fully treated, the bp will be stabilized too. Please bare in mind that hypertension and hypotension mechanisms include the vasomotor changes (mechanisms). During the inflammation/infection, there are many vaso-active substances released that could cause immediate rise or reduction in blood pressure. Another factor could be related to suprarenal gland problems especially when it comes to pheochromocytoma, during which, sharp changes in blood pressure are noticed. To run into final conclusion, however, I kindly ask to forward all the test results your wife has ran. Those results will help me assist her further. Thank you! Dr.Benard