Can a large piece of Taco remain stuck in throat causing acute pain ?

about 2 hours ago i took to large of a bite of a taco. It felt like it got stuck. I have drank about 120 oz of water and i'm still in a lot of pain. I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 33 minutes later
Hi Mary!,

If you have chewed your Taco well, there is no chance that it would get stuck. Only the ulcer / sore causes the foreign body sensation and the pain you are feeling may be because of the friction caused by the hard Taco.

Hard Foreign Bodies cause scraping to the tender mucous membrane of the mouth, pharynx & esophagus causing ulcer / sore. This leads to severe pain and feeling that something has got stuck.
You may use BENZOCAINE 20% solution for gargling. If it is not available you may do plain water gargling. Kindly see that water is not hot as this may increase the pain.

Do not eat anything hot or spicy for a week.

If the sensation persists after gargling 5-6 times you may have go to a hospital.

I shall await the news of your recovery in follow-up.