Can a knee injury cause Osteoarthritis and Medial synovial plica?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can a knee injury cause Osteoarthritis and medial synovial plica?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A knee injury can cause a post traumatic osteoarthritis and repeated injuries or surgeries in the area can cause irritation of the medial plica causing pain and swelling in the area. There can be episodes of crepitation, catching, and pseudo-locking events with activities. Treatment involves quadriceps strengthening along with concurrent hamstring stretching exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist. In cases which do not respond initially to an exercise program, an intraarticular steroid injection may be indicated. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL