Can a kiss and lick on penis trasmit HIV infection ?

Hello Sir I got a valuable reply from one of your doctor i have one more question in my mind i met one girl she kissed and licked my penis will any hiv virus be transmitted to me with that thing anyway i tested for hiv i got negative result. I met her last week, yesterday i went for hiv test please help me
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 29 minutes later

It is nice to see that you are taking consultation early to avert health risk.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     Age 27 years
•     History of licking of penis 1 week back followed by fear of HIV.

First and foremost, you need to know that sex with every person does not cause HIV infection even in case of sex workers, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you.

Even in case a person has sex with an infected person, the chances of contracting the infection would be 0.04% per act (Female-to-male transmission) ‎. Although data for oral sex is not available but we can assume transmission risk lower for oral sex (less than 0.04% per act). In your case HIV status of girl is not known and if she is HIV negative than there is no risk at all.

Hence I would tell first for not worry much about the possibility of infection. In case you are still anxious and want to be double sure about your status, you can go ahead and get tested.

The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎ I would recommend you to do the test after 3 weeks post exposure, to avoid retesting.

The other test is ELISA test for HIV antibodies which is able to detect HIV antibodies after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals, who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again. ‎

Before any test related to HIV it is must to take pre-test and post-test counselling. Ask for the laboratory regarding this before test so that your anxiety will reduce.

Final message to you: worry less, get test done if possible and avoid this kind of mistakes in future.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Can a kiss and lick on penis trasmit HIV infection ? 29 hours later
hello sir thanks for your valuable reply I went for hiv test the result is negative still the second test needs more time to wait and i am little bit anxious to know will there be any transmission of hiv with this kind of things will any hiv virus transmits to me please help me sir
Follow-up: Can a kiss and lick on penis trasmit HIV infection ? 3 minutes later
do i actually need to test for hiv again
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Hello again,

Its nice that you have negative test.

Now get HIV ELISA done after 6-8 week of exposure.
All the best,