Ask a Dentist   »  

Can a jaw extender be used to induce facial changes?

I had braces for correcting tooth bite . Initial upper side teeth are extend outside when compared to lower jaw teeth. The doctor pulled the side wise upper jaw teeth
so bite is proper. i had retainers for 1 year. Now retainer is removed. I feel braces made my face oval and small. i can correct it. can a jaw extender be used ? or again braces to pull side wise teeth outwards.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I presume we are talking about XXXXXXX bite (tooth bite) here.

In such case, the duration of treatment (both braces and retainers) is usually not less than 1 and half years.

At the end of the treatment, when the retainers are removed, it can cause changes in the facial appearance. However such changes are not related to the apparent reduction in the size of the jaw bones.

Having said that, reuse of braces is not expected to correct the facial changes. You will need the braces if you persist to have XXXXXXX bites though.

If facial changes need to be restored, surgical exploration is warranted. The surgical treatment is for cosmetic correction alone.

Hope you find my answer adequate.

Wish you good health