Can a itchy vagina with yellowish discharge be some infection ?

i am 34 year old woman, i had my annual pop smear two months ago, the doc told me that i have a virus but not serious and i will need to get back to have another pop smear in three months. also my vagina is a bit itchy and i sometimes have some yellow or white discharge. are these related and what does the doc mean??
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding the results your doctor has discussed with you.

Regarding the virus your doctor mentioned on your recent Pap smear this is what we refer to as a papilloma virus. Human papilloma virus is a very common virus present in the population. Occasionally a couple of different types of this virus can cause changes in the cervix which can predispose to cervical cancer. This is why we recommend the Pap smear every year. I agree with your primary care provider asking you to come back for a repeat test in order to make sure that the virus that they noted has not caused any changes in your cervix. Let me reassure you that these findings do not pose any immediate threat to you nor do they affect your reproductive ability.

In reference to the discharge which you mentioned in your question this could simply be a physiologic discharge which might go away within the next couple of weeks. If you think you might have any risk factors for a sexually transmitted illness such as unprotected sex with someone you do not know very well I believe you should be screened for sexually transmitted diseases. Some of these including chlamydia and gonorrhea can sometimes cause a vaginal discharge. In addition an overgrowth of bacteria into vagina which we refer to as bacterial vaginosis can sometimes cause a discharge. The test for this is very simple and might really help your symptoms resolve quickly if your doctor is able to prescribe and antibiotic which will work well for you.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Can a itchy vagina with yellowish discharge be some infection ? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your detailed answer. I guess I should just eat well, and exercise and try to be healthy and fight the virus. I have another question about it, since I am currently carry this virus, is it safe to have sex with my husband ? Will I pass him the virus too?? I understand the virus is very common among women but what about among men??
I have never have sex with unknown partner, although I have few boyfriends before i got married. I had STD test before I got married three years ago, do you recommend I have another one? My doc is very cold and even though she is female but I don't really feel comfortable to discuss with her about my issues.
thank you so very much for taking your time and answer my questions.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Yes sex is by all means safe with your husband. No worry there. As long as you have no other symptoms such as abdominal pain or vaginal discharge no additional studies are needed.

I wish you all the best.

Dr. Galamaga