Can a heart patient who has under gone angioplasty with two stents in RCA take revital capsules?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi, Can a heart patient who has under gone angioplasty with two stents in RCA take Revital capsules. I had heart attack in Mar'10 and had two patent stents in RCA. In Mar'12 again I had Angiography and the reports were good (attached). My problem is I feel distressed and emotionally weak and have negative thoughts or negativity - earlier I was very positive and strong person. Sometime I have palpitations during anxiety (very often in difficult situations). Please help me in leading a sound & happy life.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 52 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified cardiologist and read as well seen your angioplasty reports with diligence.
Secondary depression/ anxiety is perfectly normal in a 39 year old patient with two procedures over two years. What I am concerned is now the same risk factors shall operate and can cause disease in un involved vessels. It is good that you did not develop re stenosis chances of which are high in first 6 months of stent implantation. Yes you can take Revital. Go for brisk walk with no junk thoughts in your mind with an aim to cover distance at the speed for 5 Km/hr for 40 minutes every day. Practice yoga and meditation. Swasana is found to be very useful for relaxing the mind and body. If you do not know how to perform, I am telling you the steps. Beware of risk factors of coronary artery disease and most are modifiable. You have identified stress as one but that is natural. In your follow up question you can tell about others. In addition if anxiety is severe ask your doctor to prescribe Mouth Dissolving Preparation of Clonezepam. He will tell you precautions that go with the drug.

At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-

A: MODIFIABLE RISK FACTORS
Diabetes +/-
Hypertension +/-
Smoking+/-
Stress*
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
B: NON MODIFIABLE RISK FACTORS
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

For STRESS
Yogic Exercise
Also known as: Final Relaxation
Type of pose: Resting

Benefits: Allows the body time to process information at the end of a class.

No yoga session is complete without the final pose – Savasana. The body needs this time to understand the new information it has received through practicing yoga. Even though Savasana is a resting pose, it’s not the same a sleeping! You should stay present and aware during the five to ten minute duration of final relaxation.

Instructions:

1. Come to lie down on the back.

2. Let the feet fall out to either side.

3. Bring the arms alongside the body, but slightly separated from the body, and turn the palms to face upwards.

4. Relax the whole body, including the face. Let the body feel heavy.

5. Let the breath occur naturally.

6. To come out, first begin to the deepen the breath. Then move the fingers and toes, awakening the body.

7. Bring the knees into the chest and roll over to one side, keep the eyes closed.

8. Slowly bring yourself back up into a sitting position.
Do this twice a day for 10 minutes each
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW