Can a ganglia cyst be on or near the collar bone and is it serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can a ganglia cyst be on or near the collar bone and is it serious
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be a ganglion if near shoulder. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A ganglion cyst should not arise on the collar bone. In collar bone, it depends on where it is located. If it is more towards your shoulder at the AC joint then it is more likely to be a small ganglion. Because the rest of the collarbone does not have any joints in it, it would be more rare for it to come up near the neck. It is best to get it checked out by Orthopedician. If it is attached to the bone then it is more likely to be a bone cyst. If it is in the skin overlying the collarbone then it can be either a cyst of the skin or a lymph node. If the swelling is painless and is not gradually increasing in the size then it is not serious. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL