Can a feeling of bulge in abdomen related to hernia and what are the treatment option?

General Surgeon
Doctor, my father XXXXXwho is 67 yrs old is having hernia problem. He got an operation done for the same on the left side of his abdomen. But now he is feeling a bulge of intestine (same bulge he was feeling on left side before for which he got Operated upon) on the right side of his abdomen. Is it a problem of reduction in thickness of his abdominal wall. If yes, then how can we improve his condition without going for surgery? Can the abdominal wall thickness be increased by nutriton or some medicine?He is a Rheumatoid Arthritis patient since 1993. Waiting for your reply-XXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: No medication or diet will help Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX The definitive treatment of Hernia is Surgical correction by Hernioplasty at earliest to prevent complications of Obstruction and strangulation. There is inherent weakness in the abdominal wall through the intestine prolapse out. As the hernia has already manifested revealing the weakness, it will require surgical correction at earliest. THERE IS NO NUTRITION OR MEDICATION TO INCREASE THE THICKNESS OF ABDOMINAL WALL. The thickness of abdominal wall is not important, but it's the strength of abdominal muscle and aponeurosis which prevents hernia from occurring. I would like to stress that any medication you may try will not help. Routine Planned surgery at the earliest is the only modality. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon