Ask a Dentist   »  

Can a dental abscess on molar tooth spread outside the tooth beneath the jawline or form a cyst?

Can a dental abscess on the left back molar tooth(next to the wisdom tooth), that had developed from a broken filling over the course of a year and a half, spread outside the bone of the tooth to the glands beneath the jawline or form a cyst? I have had a root canal/crown put on this tooth. When the Endodontist opened up the root, the infection came "flowing out like a Volcano", he said I was really lucky to have caught it and it was so bad it was about to make me very sick most likely. I still have pain when chewing on the crown, like there is a cavity, and glands on the left side of my neck are all swollen, as well as the right. Larger on the left side though beneath the tooth that was infected. I can feel a small, movable and painful to the touch bump the size of a pea directly beneath this molar tooth behind my jaw bone. It was there before the root canal too, it is not as large as it was before or as painful as it was before the procedure, but I'm wondering if it is a result of this abscess or a spread of that infection, which could also be infecting the surrounding lymph nodes/glands in my neck. Just had another round of blood work done on the lymph nodes testing for infection. I'm just worried the infection did not fully heal/or had already spread and could cause further health problems or even nerve damage.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
The abscess of the tooth root that was not draining out has caused all the problems.
Yes, it can infect the surrounding bone when long standing and under pressure.
The lymph nodes get enlarged due to infection of their catchment area.
The swellings you are feeling are in fact lymph nodes.
They will resolve quickly once the source has been drained of the pus pocket, as in your case.
They would not result in chronic infection there or any nerve damage, because they are the watch dogs of nature to prevent infection from reaching tissues of whole body.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!