Can a DVT in a leg be there for many weeks? Calf pain, soreness, no swelling. X-ray showed no bone damage

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can a DVT in a leg be there for multiple weeks, i.e. 3-4 weeks. I have had a pain in my calf and XXXXXXX that has been ongoing for 3-4 weeks now. I had an X-ray done and that was negative for any bone damage and the sports doctor i saw told me that he thinks I have pulled my calf, my XXXXXXX is a bit sore also. I am a 26 year old male, 150lbs and 5'9. No swelling or tenderness, just a dull ache that has occasional shooting pains, sometimes I feel it in my thigh also.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later

XXXXXXX vein thrombosis (Deep Vein Thrombosis) is a chronic condition and can persist for several weeks. But DVT is commonly characterized by pain in calf at rest, redness, swelling, tenderness, etc. Your symptoms are not likely to be suggestive of DVT. To rule this out, you can get a few investigations like D-dimer blood test, Doppler ultrasound exam of the legs and Plethysmography (measurement of blood flow) of the legs.

The pain in calf and XXXXXXX is more likely to be due to -

1. Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) - narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles.
2. Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc. Chronic illnesses like alcoholism and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs.
3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain or an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.

All the above causes can be ruled out by your physician after some tests and examination.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad
to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.