Can a CT detect liver metastatic clearly?

General Surgeon
Question
Can a ct detect liver mets clearly?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If the CT is with contrast, yes metastatic tumors are clearly visible. Even ultrasound can visualize liver tumors. Liver is very nicely visible in diagnostic tests and any tumor should be visible in the CT. But to be 99% sure, if the cancer is already diagnosed, PET scan should be done to rule out any metastatic areas. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Can a CT detect liver metastatic clearly? 3 minutes later
My dad had a contrast ct and the radiologist said indeterminate liver lessions, mri liver needed . What does this mean in ur view? Liver mets?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: It can be metastatic lesions. Hard to tell. But I do not think that MRI will give more accurate answer. If he needs to wait for this test, I suggest you to consult oncologist in a meanwhile and consider liver biopsy. This will be the best answer you can get and either will rule out or confirm cancer. Regards.

Follow-up: Can a CT detect liver metastatic clearly? 6 minutes later
He was diagnosed 2 weeks ago so did a ct scan last week to check for mets . But it said indeterminate liver lessions? What can that meAn? Wouldnt mets be of a certain character on a ct and easy to tell?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: CT gives only an image. On this image there can be brighter areas on the darker liver. Some of brighter areas (tumors) can get more visible when contrasts gets through it. If so, we can say this lumps are like metastatic tumors. But this is still only an image. We can say that this is not a cyst, abscess, hemangioma. But it is very hard to tell if it is malignant or benign (like FNH) tumor. As long as the cells from this indeterminate lesion wont be checked under the microscope, neither CT, ultrasound or MRI wont give the answer. Mets can be different depending of its source. So the image of it can be different as well. Hope this will help. Regards.

Follow-up: Can a CT detect liver metastatic clearly? 5 minutes later
Ok thanks . Even if they said poss t3, t2 it can still spread ? In mets would liver function tests not be abnormal

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Generally we can say about t2 or t3 if there is no metastases to other organs. This metastases can be left undetected ( to determine stage of the cancer we need to know how large is the tumor, are there any lymph nodes metastases and if are there any organs metastases - usually before the surgery we have T2NXMX for example - it means Tumor does not gets outside the main organ, N - lymph nodes unknown, M metastases unknown) and staging can be wrong. So more valuable staging is after a surgery (it is called pTNM). But any cancer stage can give metastases. It is just a matter of time. Liver has a large reserves. We need no more than 1/3 of healthy liver to live. So metastases wont cause any abnormalities in liver tests. Regards.

Follow-up: Can a CT detect liver metastatic clearly? 7 hours later
So do u think fhese indeterminate liver lessions are mets? If they have said t2 or t3 can the liver already have mets?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: I can not give the answer if this are mets or not. I simply do not know it and either your doctors dont know it. I can say, mets are probable. Even if they have said he is T2 or T3. That is why i`m asking your dad to have biopsy or better surgery with main tumor removal and liver checkup (surgeon is able to palpate the liver from inside and take samples for histopathology). Regards.