Can Trazadone and Tramadone be taken together?

May I take 1 tablet of Trazadone for sleep 2 hours after taking 1 50mg tablet of Tramadone for arthritis pain?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tramadol has sedative properties Detailed Answer: Dear Sir. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Tramadol if you are taking for Pain relief for arthritis , i must tell you that it also causes sedation. So , you don't require Trazodone in addition just to sleep. So , i would not recommend you to take both the medications together or even after a gap of 2 hours since your purpose of falling asleep can be solved with Tramadol only. Taking these 2 drugs together can cause excessive sedation, and drowsiness when you get up. However , to be specific to your query , two drugs are of different class and can be taken together with so very significant interactions. So , you may consider this option only if you are unable to sleep with Tramadol only. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD