Can Salmonella virchow and Giardia cause conjestive heart failure?

can salmonella virchow and giardia cause conjestive heart failure?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Congestive heart failure means that the heart is not pumping the blood as well as it should have done otherwise in a normal condition.

2. Infections are a precipitating for for congestive cardiac failure. But an underlying structural deformity/ disease process of the heart is usually associated with such conditions.

3. Overwhelming sepsis (frank infection involving the whole body) can lead to congestive heart failure.

4. Salmonella virchow is associated with endocarditis and can lead to congestive cardiac failure.

5. Giardia is not known to cause congestive heart failure normally.

6. If there is pre existing disease like rheumatic heart disease or hypertension then these infections can be a risk factor for Congestive cardiac failure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra