Can STDs be detected with blood test?

My new girlfriend wants me to get tested for STDs. Previously I was in a 10 year faithfull marriage and the 8 years since my divorce I have had 4 intimate relations. I feel a bit uncomfortable as I think she does not trust me.

Aren't my chances of having an STD very small? Can STDs be detected with a simple blood test?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 21 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

I can understand that faith & trust is important in any relationship.But now a days things have changed and people want more firm reports to prove ones fidelity.

There are certain tests which can be done to look for any STDs and HIV.But otherwise there are certain symptoms too which can tell whether patient has any infection or not.

I'll briefly mention some of the presenting complaints which you should look for in your body.They are as follows:
1) any ulcer over penis-painful or painless
2) chronic fever
3) swelling of lymph nodes esp over groins.
4) water filled vesicles over penis.
5) any wary lesion over genitalia(warts).
6) any small umblicated growth( molluscum contagiosum)
7) any discharge per urethra or burning sensation while micturation/urination.
8) cough or oral ulcers
9) weight loss
10) headache & fatigue
11) nausea ,vomiting & diarrhea.

It is important to understand that symptoms of HIV are same as that of any flu or any other infection .So if yo have any of these symptoms then please seek medical evaluation by a specialist.

As far as tests are concerned you can get a HIV ELISA ,VDRL & TPHA (for syphilis) done to prove any infection.

You can even consult a dermatologist or venereologist for the tests or a checkup.

This would probably prove to your partner and probably psychologically help her in the relationship.

Since you had a trusted relationship earlier ,I do feel that your chances of having an STD is bleak .

Hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Dr.Bharat chawda