Can Rheumatism reoccur and cause ITP?

Dear Doctor, One year back i am diagnosed with ITP. Few months i have taken steroids. My Bone marrow , LFT , Anti-CCP, LUPUS, Anti DNA other test are normal. My doctor suggested Splenectomy. Currently I am on Revolade 25mg tabs. I suffered from Rheumatic fever during my childhood. I had Rheumatic Heart Disease/surgery. Can Rheumatism reoccur and cause of ITP? How to check this? What are the tests for this? What should i do now? Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer: continue revolade Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. There is no relation between ITP and rheumatic fever, so no question of getting tests done for the same. Revolade is a good treatment for ITP and if it maintains the platelet count above 50000/ul then nothing like it. Splenectomy has its own hazards like infections and it is best postponed until really necessary. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.