Can Remeron and Xanax taken for depression and anxiety elevate liver enzymes?

Hi, My son was on 30 mg of Remeron and 3mg of xanax a day for depression and anxiety. He just had blood work done and his alt was 116 and his ast was 100. Alp and bilirubin were both normal. All his other blood work was also normal. My question is could these medications alone or in combination elevate liver enzymes? He has since stopped the xanax and is slowly going off the remeron. He is going to have his enzymes checked again in a few months.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Remeron and Xanax both cause a dose-dependent asymptomatic elevation of liver enzymes specially AST and ALT on long term use. The rise in these enzymes is mild and is reversible on stopping the drugs.

Since your son has already stopped xanax and is now going off Remeron, his liver enzymes should return to normal over next six months.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.