Can Primolut be taken for irregular periods?

my period start to skips can i take primolut to hae my period i am 47
if i am in premenopause and my period will not comes i want any medecine to keep my period every month
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 52 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The medication that you mentioned is a progesterone only pill. It is not the greatest choice for use in regulating your period. A better choice would a pill that contain estrogen and progesterone. This is the case with most regular birth control pills.

As you approach your late 40's, it is not unusual to have irregular cycles related to irregularity in when you ovulate. The birth control pills would help to suppress ovulation and give you control back with regard to when your period occurs.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Can Primolut be taken for irregular periods? 9 minutes later
So please can you mention a medicine that works and have my period back , so please give me a name for good pills doesn't make me gain weight . And thanks for your advise
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
If your periods have stopped, one medication to GET a period is called Provera, or medroxyprogesterone: 10mg per day for 10 days.

Once you have a period, then you would start the birth control pills - any birth control pill will do.

Your OB/GYN, who can help you with these prescriptions, is who you should ultimately consult regarding which pills are available in your country.

Good luck!
Follow-up: Can Primolut be taken for irregular periods? 5 minutes later
Thank a lot for your prompt answer , and can I take the provera always when my period delay one more thing I have no cancer history in my family , I guess it is safe the pill??
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
You could take the Provera now, and within one week you should get a period. You could then wait and if you do not get another period within 5 weeks, it would be reasonable to use the same dose to induce another period.

The use of progesterone to induce a period, or the use of birth control pills to regulate your cycle will decrease your chance of uterine and ovarian cancer. Your risk of other cancers is not increased. Please confirm these facts with your OB/GYN!

Thank you and good luck!
Follow-up: Can Primolut be taken for irregular periods? 55 minutes later
thanks again !!!! But am really scared now after I read in the net about the side effects of provera as cause hair loss and. Weight gain and breast cancer please doctor. I wanna be 100 percent sure that provera safe .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Provera used for 10 days to induce a period will do none of the above. I cannot guarantee you anything on this website. This is an 'information only' type situation. I am trying to educate you on ways that women treat absent or irregular cycles. It is NOT medical advice. If you want to discuss the safety of these options, then you need to talk with your doctor. None of these medications should be used unless you have met with your doctor so that they can make sure that your bleeding has been properly evaluated and that the treatments are safe.

I hope that you understand this.