Can PID cause infertility? D&C done. What are the tests to be done for PID?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
if dignosed with PID after a D&C 3 months ago, can that cause you to become infertile?

what test do doctors have to perform to see if a patient has PID?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is inflammation of the XXXXXXX reproductive organs, uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.
It can affect any one or two of the above or all of them.

PID, if severe and progressive can affect the fertility by,

In uterus it can lead to emdometritis leading to adhesions formation within uterus and there by sperm penetration and zygote implantation becomes difficult.

When it affects fallopian tubes may lead to blockade of tubes there by making passage of sperms, egg or zygote difficult.

When it affects ovary the ovulation and passage of ovum may get disturbed.

PID can be detected by,

-Symptoms and signs like lower abdominal pain, fever, dyspareunia, vaginal discharge, irregular periods, pain by moving the cervix etc.
Sometimes it can be present without symptoms also.

-by histopathological examination

-Ultrasound can diagnose PID when associated with dilated and edematous structures like tubo-ovarian complex,

-Laparoscopy can diagnose better by direct visualization of organs.

If suspected it should be treated early to prevent complications.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Can PID cause infertility? D&C done. What are the tests to be done for PID? 10 minutes later
what is a histopathological examination?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

histopathological examination means,

-examination of tissue taken from uterine lining, if it is examined under microscope the features of endometritis can be found out.

-cytological examination of free fluid(if present) from pouch of XXXXXXX to detect infection.

-examination of smear taken from vaginal discharge(if present) to detect the possible organism causing infection. etc.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.