Can PCOS be treated? Taking medication for periods, have gained weight

Want to know whether Pcos can be treated? I have this problem since 2006. I have a baby now who is 6 months old. She is healthy. but I don't get periods unless I take medication for it. I have piled oodles of weight too. I want to go back to 56 kgs from 80 kgs. Want the problem of periods to be solved too
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

Yes PCOS can be treated medically or surgially provided you change your lifestyle.

Changing lifestyle includes lots of exercises and diet modification.

Cut off your sugar and fats as much as possible.

Take salads , XXXXXXX vegetables , XXXXXXX tea , fresh fruits , multigrain flour with soy and whey protein in it .

Salt restricted diet also reduces the weight , you should not take more than a teaspoonful daily.

Yoga with asanas and pranayaam help a lot. I know it is very difficult to follow this as you are having small baby but take out at least 15 minutes a day for it.

Regarding medication for PCOD we give Metformin in divided doses.

In resistant cases Laparoscopic ovarian drilling (LOD ) gives very good results but we prefer it in infertility cases.

You are in lactational period which is the period of amenorrhoea and scanty or irregular cycles.

I hope your thyroid profile is within normal limits.

Get your lipid profile done and consult a physician if the levels are high

To conclude , PCOS is a treatable condition if you follow strictly the diet schedule and exercise regime along with Metformin or LOD

Best wishes

any further query is most welcome.