Can Norethisterone be taken with Cerelle contraceptive pill?

Can you take Norethisterone if you are taking Cerelle contraceptive pill?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not needed, except in special situations Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The primary indication of Cerelle contraceptive is to prevent a pregnancy (contraception). Norethisterone on the other hand apart from having a contraceptive effect, has other uses. It could also be used to treat conditions like Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (abnormal pr excessive bleeding), Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstruation), Endometriosis, Menstruation disorders, Postponement of menstruation, Premenstrual tension (pains before onset of menstruation), and can also be given in adjunctive therapy as an alternative drug of choice in Premenstrual syndrome. If Derelle is used for contraceptive reasons, and the patient in question has a problem mainly with contraception, there is no need associating Norethisterone. In case the patient is already on Norethisterone for other reasons, if a contraceptive action is needed, a contraceptive dose can be prescribed. Using Norethisterone and Cerelle really do have no scientific justification. They can be associated however in situations when the patient reacts to higher doses of Norethisterone. If not , Norethisterone in contraceptove doses alone would be sufficient. I would strongly you seek the opinion of your treating gynecologist in case of any doubts. Associating the two is possible, but in very special conditions. Norethisterone in appropriate doses could serve the purpose of Cerelle. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain
Follow-up: Can Norethisterone be taken with Cerelle contraceptive pill? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I didn't really give you enough information. I understand that you take Cerelle as a contraceptive continually (with no gaps between packets) and menstrual bleeding will happen naturally. If I wanted to delay my period one month (because I was going away on holiday and it would be inconvenient) could I take Norethisterone to delay the start of my period for that month? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Norethisterone is appropriate in this case. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the details. Under the circumstance you just described, it is appropriate to take Norethisterone to delay your period. Kind regards. Dr Bain