Can Nicorette gum cause hair loss and thinning in women? Will hair grow back?

Can Nicorette gum cause hair loss -- thinning in women, and if she stops the gum, will the hair come back??
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Radhika 18 minutes later

There is no study linking hair fall due to usage of Nicorette gum.

But there were studies in early 90's that revealed smoking and nicotine in any form can be linked to hair fall and other scalp problems. Nicorette which is a nicotine replacement gum on a long time might produce similar side effects as smoking. And hence many users have reported hair fall.

The other common side effects that can be seen include bleeding gums, burping, gingivitis (inflamed gums), hiccups, headache, lightheadedness, tongue discoloration and so on.

The bottom line is that though there have not been any studies associating nicorette gums with hair thinning and hair fall, I cannot deny the risks of nicotine contained in the Nicorette gums over hair and scalp. Hence it might be the cause of your hair problems.

Hence I suggest you discontinue Nicorette gum and take help from deaddiction centres, because even Nicorette can cause unwanted problems.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.