Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes?

Question
i HAVE SEVERAL LESIONS ON MY NECK, EAR, AND EYE THAT REMIND ME OF THE COLD SORES i GET. THEY WILL NOT GO AWAY. TODAY I NOTICED DISCHARGE BUT COULD NOT FINE A LESION IN THE VAGINAL AREA. I USE METH REGULARLY AND WAS WONDERING IF MAYBE THE CHEMICALS WERE JUST TRYING TI EXIT MY BODY OR HERPES?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 3 minutes later
I have a lot of eye discharge

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely infectious but need more info Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. The lesions indeed look infectious rather than toxic. I do need more information though. Could you describe the discharge or show a picture? Are you having vaginal discharge? Fevers? Chills? Joint pain? Any tick exposure where you live? Thanks for the additional info Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 4 hours later
The discharge is yellowish and white. The entire cluster is hard. i am having vaginal discharge but its from the skin not vaginal canal. no ticks around here no chills, shoulder hurts when i wake up, thot i was getting sick my nose is running alot only effects one eye. Ive been crying and it is twitching very badly

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 30 hours later
Brief Answer: A few more questions Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Merry Xmas. Thanks for the follow up. I have a couple of other pertinent questions regarding your presentation: 1) Recent sexual history, in terms of number of partners or new partners in the past 6 weeks 2) Route of use for meth (eg. smoked, snorted, injected) Thanks again, Dr Brenes-Salazar

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 21 hours later
i recently had one sexual encounter that was new . unprotected around the 10th of December, i inject meth. my eye is getting worse both eyes have discharge. should i go to the er?

Brief Answer: Yes, indeed Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the follow up information. I suspect that the eye discharge is infectious in nature, a conjunctivitis, but when I put all the pieces of information together, the vaginal discharge, the malaise, and the skin lesions, I would be specifically concerned about a disseminated gonococcal infection; indeed, you should be seen in the ED or urgent care to evaluate the conjunctivitis since you likely need antibiotics, but further workup will be required, including a pelvic exam (remember to tell the ER doctor about your vaginal symptoms) and some blood work. Wish you the best. Keep me posted. If you need further medical information about our programs at Mayo you can access WWW.WWWW.WW or YYYY@YYYY Best regards Dr B

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 7 minutes later
How soon do I need to go? I have no car it just broke down. I'm new here should I ask the neighbor to take me? Is this related to me that use or a std? Meth use or std?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: STD is probable Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks fo the follow up. Yes, indeed I would ask your good neighbor to take you to the ER; the particular immediate concern is the eye infection and need for antibiotics. Meth predisposes you to infection, that is through bacteria from the bloodstream to the vein, but I think that with all the other constellation of symptoms an STD is a possibility. Have you had HIV testing done?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 21 minutes later
No I am in the er now. I have also had a lot of nasel discharge... This doesn't sound like herpes? I hope it's cureable

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hoping so too, atypical for herpes Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX It would be a very rare presentation for herpes given the other systemic widespread symptoms, but again they may believe that testing for herpes is indicated as well. I am glad you are being seen in the ER now :)

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 2 minutes later
Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most welcome Detailed Answer: Keep me on the loop, let me know if I can be of further assistance

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 1 hour later
they are giving me a shot of Rocephin. no pelvic exam. he says he doesn't think it's herpes that herpes usually have a rash in this have no rash although he didn't look he just said he didn't know what it was but an infection and that that antibiotics he was going to give me would cure all. Gave oral zethrimax and eydrops.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good on the antibiotics Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX What ED location is it? I think those are the 2 empiric antibiotics you would need for now. E mail available if needed

Er location? Clovis nm

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: And what is going to be the follow up? Any plan?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 1 minute later
he said the discharge was not typical with herpes and that the medication he was giving me with care any other STD if I had any other issues to go to a gynecologist

Brief Answer: Reasonable Detailed Answer: Well, that 5 would be 0 rea 7 sonable... 2 Follow 6 up is 1 always important 46 when 44 antibiotics given...

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much. I'm not going to close the discussion just yet okay? I still have a few days left with this online query and I'd like to see how it goes.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Yes, available for you Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX I will be available for you. Thanks for using this venue. Wish you the very best-Yours truly, Dr Brenes-Salazar

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 12 hours later
Im really not feeling well. I head is so fuzzy and I can't think straight. Is this side effect from meth? I went 4 days without it and have had very little in the past two days but I feel really lost mentally. I cant get it together. How long before antibiotics kick in? They did not prescribe any home antibiotics except eye drops.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually few days Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX Thanks for the follow up. Difficult to go back and forth with the messages instead of a chat! How much is little meth then? What is the longest interval you have been without it? Most antibiotics if treating the right infection will make a big difference in the first 72 hours, how are the lesions? Do you have updates selfies? (pics). Thanks

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 16 minutes later
I tried to upload some new pics the lesions are doing better the longest I've gone in months is 4 days and that was 2 days ago the past two days I've done about half of a quarter. Not much I don't know if it's better to try to wean myself off of it or what because I have no one to help me and I have a job I have to holdI need my brain to be straight though I have not been picking at the the sore. I have left them alone

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Saw pics Detailed Answer: Some of the lesions, particularly the hand one looks better. Ideally, you would be far better off the meth, in terms on long term function, why meth for starters?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 2 hours later
my runny nose isn't getting better. So I should wait 72hours to be sure antibiotics are working right General malise how do I ease effects of withdrawal. I think I'm sicker than I first thought. I think I'm running a fever

Brief Answer: Intentions to quit? Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX I agree some of it may be withdrawal, my question to you is do you want to quit meth for good?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 8 minutes later
,YES DESPRATLEY!

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Great to hear Detailed Answer: Great! I do feel that it is your desire to quit... Part of it is a physical component that is eased by medications, most important step for sure is a spiritual change, a transformation, a metamorphosis. Five O seven two 6 one 46 four four.

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 3 hours later
So after 72 hours if I am still symptomatic I need to follow up.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Which symptoms Detailed Answer: Which symptoms specifically

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 12 minutes later
Right now my main concern is the eye discharge as well as nasal discharge. Still have some vaginal discharge but I think it's looking good down there lol. No rash, no bumps, nothing swollen or itchy. Safe to conclude it's not herpes? But a curable std? Btw was never given std ad diagnosis. Only conjunctivitis but the nurse said all signs point to an std. Is it possible that the eye, nasel drainage and the sores were solely a reaction to prolonged Meth use which incurred infection? Could it be possible there was no std but infection manifested symptoms similar to those of a std?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not typical for HSV Detailed Answer: Well, don't know how its looking there have not seen it (lol...)... On the pictures I have not seen the eye discharge. Do you scratch yourself much?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 13 minutes later
Lol no. It doesn't itch. It's like an oozing around the eyelids . the pours in the eyelids, lashes.. Yellowish and white. Also inside eye are bumps with white heads but they are not lesions nor are the coming to a head. Just white bumps. Gunny like pink eye but I've had pink eye and its not the same thing Would a nasel decongestant help ?

Brief Answer: bacterial conjunctivitis Detailed Answer: Well again I have not seen the department downstairs (lol), but since you do have some discharge you may have innoculated the eyes with your hands inadvertedly... again, I have not seen the conditions of the furnished basement downsouth :) a vaginal gonococcal infection can cause conjunctivitis

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 9 minutes later
one last thing for the moment... How long am I contagious to family members

Brief Answer: which family Detailed Answer: what family members? depends on type if contact

Children. General day to say activities

Brief Answer: small children? Detailed Answer: your kids? babies or toddlers?

Follow-up: Can Methamphetamine cause cold sore like lesions on neck,ear and eyes or could it be due to herpes? 6 minutes later
8 and 12 girls

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: basic precautions Detailed Answer: dear XXXXXXX I think that basic precautions in terms of fluid management, washing hands, avoiding coughing or sneezing towards them would be the norm... 8 and 12... did you get into meth long time ago or recently?

What does that have to do with anything? They are not mine anyway