Can Juvederm travel to other parts of the body? Should I get it dissolved? Scared of impact on eyesight.

Hi !.... I had my first ever derma fillers yesterday (2ml juvederm voluma in cheeks)...but I have been having a headache ever since, blurry vision, palpitations, headache and fatigue, pins and needle type sensations, though my i have no scarring or rash at the site of injection...are injected, hurts when i smile, and feels hard....also i a concerned about Juvederm travelling to other part of my face from my cheeks travelling,what are the chances of that happening??..... and how long can the fillers stay in the body for ? as I have read people experiencing reactions to it after years whereas doctors tell as it dissolves on 1 or 2 years .. Im extremely scared, of any health implications in the future, or traces of it being left in my body and interfering some how! ..I know they say its extremely safe , but then again it is something artificial..I was told it would last for 18 months, and im worried of something artificial like that have some sort of an effect on my health over time....i'm super scared, should I just go get the juvederm dissolved? and does the reversing, make all traces of the filler being in ure body very scared because of my symptoms and scared of it having an impact on my eyesight or something else as serious, would appreciate any advice!
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 8 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Your question and your fear is very genuine .Since it’s the first time you are taking such an injection, I can understand your fear & apprehension.

Few of the symptoms which you have quoted are routinely seen after the injection like having burning and pricking sensation or even redness .Mild pain can be there for a couple of hours which gradually subsides.

The filler which you have used (juvederm voluma) should not spread to the surrounding skin by itself. So you should not worry about this .This filler is Hyaluronic acid, which gradually gets dissolved in the skin .The company does say that it lasts for approximately 18 months.

As far as blurring of vision is concerned, I think you should talk to your doctor, as this is a very rare complication .In fact. such a complication is documented in cases where this injection is used over glabellar lines(frown lines) on forehead.

Headache is also very rarely seen, but should go off in a day.

Fatigue and palpitation should not be related to this, but rather a sign of your fear or hypothyroidism.

There is no long term complication of these filler and it does not stay in the skin for long, since this is not a permanent filler. The trace elements won't be left in the body nor would they cause any problem, unless you are allergic to it. Patient who are allergic to lidocaine or xylocain should avoid taking these injections though.

Avoid following things for at-least 24 hrs:
1) Avoid taking aspirin for the pain.
2) Avoid strenuous exercise.
3) Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
4) Avoid excess sunlight exposure or heat.

If needed injection Hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve the filler faster. But your treating physician should take that decision.
I hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.