Can Iisinopril be taken with Triam HCTZ?

can lisinopril at 5mg along with 1/2 of a 37.5 mg TRiam HCTZ be taken together?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Can Iisinopril be taken with Triam HCTZ? 1 hour later
When taking the full 37.5 mg of the Triam/HCTZ I cramp up really good in the legs and feet and get no sleep. I took the triam/hctz last night about 9pm and slept pretty well, but this was with 1/2 dose as I cut the pill in half. Did not take the 5mg of lisinopril today until I find an answer on drug interaction between the Triam/HCTZ and the lisinopril. Currently the Blood Pressure is 135/92 with a pulse of 58. Has not dropped yet since last night. I do have a high amplitude as shown on the electrocardigram, but the cardiologist said that was just the way my heart beats.. but most others have a lower amplitude. Passed the stress test a few years ago and currently exercise 3 times a week on the treadmill with some weight lifting. get about 2 miles on the tread before lifting weights. I weigh 210 lbs am 6 feet tall, male and the cardiologist was more concerned about lowering the diastolic number, but to date have not got that accomplished. Any recommendations concerning getting the blood pressure down to more normal readings would help? Otherwise I am fine and had no issues present with a colonoscopy from last October?
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 57 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Triam/HCTZ contains two diuretics Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide.

Triamterene is a potassium conserving diuretic, while Hydrochlorothiazide doesn't conserve potassium.

Lisinopril causes additive toxicity with Triamterene.

When Lisinopril is given with Triamterene, potassium level in the body can reach to toxic level.

Lisinopril can be given with Hydrochlorothiazide.

If you will discontinue use of lisinopril, your blood pressure can rise further.

Thus you should discuss this issue with your Physician/Cardiologist.

Your diastolic B.P. should remain between 80 to 90 with treatment.

If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Can Iisinopril be taken with Triam HCTZ? 11 minutes later
I've uploaded 9 files of prior med records for review and hopeful recommendation for lowering blood pressure.

Medical History
uploaded 9 files of med history

Current Medications
reconsideration of triamt/hctz at 1/2 of the 37.5 mg
**** have been currently taking 5mg of lisinopril, but isn't reducing the blood pressure enough currently
Follow-up: Can Iisinopril be taken with Triam HCTZ? 37 minutes later
ok, thank you. I also have 2.5 of amlodopine prescribed w/lisinopril which is a vascelator that I dont use often, but only when the blood pressure is elevated like it is currently.. I usually dont mess with taking the triamt/hctz and feel kind of weak today due to takin 1/2 of a 37.5 dose last night. What diuretic would work other than the triamt/HCTZ that may be more compatible with the ace inhibiting lisinopril? Plus, how long should I wait to start back on the lisinopril? I've only missed one 5mg of lisinopril which is today due to the triamt/hctz I took 1/2 of last night? I seem to tolerate lisinopril well at the 5mg dose a day and have been on this med for quite sometime now? Again thanks for all.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 12 minutes later

Welcome again,

I have gone through up loaded files.

To bring diastolic pressure below 90, your Cardiologist can increase the dose of Lisinopril. Maintenance dose of it is 10 to 20 mg.

You should discuss the issue of drug interaction between Lisinopril and Triamterene with your Cardiologist.

In my opinion, you should not use Triamterene with Lisinopril.

With discussion and approval of your Cardiologist, you can use Hydrochlothizide with Lisinopril to control your blood pressure.

You must be taking salt restricted diets.

Hope, I have answered your query.

With good wishes,
Follow-up: Can Iisinopril be taken with Triam HCTZ? 18 minutes later
Thank you Dr. You have done well in helping me. What does a high amplitude on the cardiogram combined with low pulse really mean? They (the cardio Dr. and his assistant) were concerned when I was in the hospital for testing. They had never seen anyone like myself walk the 3rd floor while hooked up with the heart placed wireless sensors with a pulse of 38 and not be in any pain? I felt fine, but they (the cardio Dr. and his assistant) said I needed to stay for further testing.. I eventually passed the tread stress test, but really couldn't get the heart rate up for what was needed in the diagostic phase before injecting the glowing isotope for looking at the chambers in the heart on the montior. Everything looked fine with no blockage the cardio Dr. said. I will consult as suggested for a recommeded diuretic in control of my blood pressure. Again, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 8 hours later

Welcome again,

Exaggerated peaking of T wave is the earliest ECG change in ST elevation myocardial infarction. It also occurs in hyperkalaemia.

Low pulse means, your heart rate is slow.

You are already taking Hydrochlorothiazide(HCTZ) with Triamterene.

As Triamterene has drug interaction with Lisinopril, you should take only HCTZ in place of Triam/HCTZ in a dose prescribed by your Cardiologist.

Hope, I have answered your query.

With good wishes,