Can IPV injection site cause any reaction?

Sep 2013

4 yo son got his MMRV and IPV around 2p.m. today (5/8/2013). About an hour later he started trying to go to sleep and has been irritable all evening. This child has not taken a day time nap in almost a year (wish he would sometimes!). A little while ago he starts complaining that his arm hurts and when I ask him where he says where the nurse hurt me and points to the Band-aid on his arm. I thought maybe he was just saying that, because let's face it he is 4 and loves band aids. But when I touch the MMRV injection site he doesn't even notice. I barely touch the IPV sight and he freaks out. I know IPV can cause an injection site reaction but should it be this severe? I dont know if you want a slight history but he has no known allergies to medications. The only immunization issues he has had before was after the flu shot last year he got extremely sick. Normal medical history for the most part, only oddity is that about twice a year since he was born he will spike a 104 fever out of no where, no other symptoms, and has to be taken to the hospital as home medicating doesn't work. I don't know if I'm over worrying or of the injection site is reacting abnormally. It is also red.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Thanks for the query to XXXXXXX Forum.

Now coming on the point MMR Vaccine's site is not painful, but I P V site is a little red and painful as you mentioned in your query. Mild allergy and redness at the site of injection is most common side-effect of vaccination and it subsides within 3-4 days, so please don't worry about that.
You can rub ice pack over injection site and that's all.

Pain threshold is different in different kind of persons (children), here I want to explain as an example, you pinch some one, he feel very severe pain, while another one feel mild pain by the same intensity pinch.
I hope you understand this example. Now main query is concern of parents of the children (child), as I mentioned about the pain threshold above, same in here about the nature of a child.

The IPV vaccine can cause tiredness as a side-effect. Maybe that is why he wants to sleep after vaccine. It should not be cause for worry.

As far as concerned about redness at the site of injection I suggest ice pack as above. If still redness spreads in more area and it become hot during touch, than it is a cause for concern, than consult. Otherwise, if not hot, than it will cure in 3-4 days as mentioned above.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further query, I will be happy to help. Wish you good health for your son.

Dr. Het.