Can IIH be treated or managed by medicines? Suggest some treatment?

1. Can IIH be treated or managed by medicines? If yes, kindly suggest us right treatment?
2. If medicines can’t help, which type of surgery is most suitable for her? What is success rate of Surgery for IIH? I read on internet that shunts get blocked very soon. Is it true?
3. Was Beta Blocker a reason for her weight again in spite of controlled diet and exercise?
4. Please suggest a specialist of IIH in Bangalore.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 21 hours later

1. While majority of patients recover on conventional treatment, some patients remain uncontrolled. The adverse factor in your wife's case is overweight which has recently aggravated.

2. Uncommonly propranolol can result in weight gain; but debate continues on cause and effect relationship.

3. Treatment options that can be considered by your doctor are as follows:
- Additional drug like frusemide can be considered. Corticosteroids will be temporary and in emergency situations only (because of its side effects)
- Repeated lumbar punctures and wait for natural recovery
- In her case surgery can be considered early in view of vision deterioration. Optic nerve sheath fenestration or cerebrospinal fluid diversion (via a lumboperitoneal or ventriculoperitoneal shunt) are the surgical options.

4. Regarding a doctor in Bangalore, I do not have any personal reference at Bangalore. Perhaps the customer support team from XXXXXXX can help you. Please write to them.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know if you need further information.

Dr. Pratap
Follow-up: Can IIH be treated or managed by medicines? Suggest some treatment? 31 minutes later
Thanks a lot Sir for replying to me. I have one more query: has anybody tried Dural Venous Sinus Stenting for the treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension in India?

Thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Personally I am not aware of Dural Venous Sinus Stenting being done in India. In general, they are effective in 30-40% cases and this is less than 70-90% response with shunt surgery.

Let me know if you have further enquiries. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion

Dr. Pratap