Can IBS cause elevated CEA level?

Can IBS cause elevated CEA level... 3.77 had colonoscopy 3 1/2 years ago. Slight inflammation but nothing else. Have pain on lower lhs, and constipation. CEA levels in April right on upper limit of normal, now gone up. Have always suffered from constipation.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

IBS is a functional disease and it does not increase the CEA level.

A raised CEA indicate many conditions like ulcerative colitis, pancreatitis, certain cancers like colon cancer. Even smoking can cause raised CEA levels.

CEA is never used to diagnose cancer, but only to assess the outcome and response to treatment.

Since you have had inflamed colon earlier, I would suggest a repeat colonoscopy be done to rule out ulcerative colitis.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini