Can I use salicylic acid cream for acne on labia?

Jan 2014

hi can a salicylic acid cream be used on labia acne and will it help to stop it recurring?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral Antibiotic+Topical Antibiotic Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. -Since how long is it there? Is it single or multiple? -Is it recurrent? -What are the symptoms associated with it? Pain or burning? -Is it like a sore? Salicylic acid is an irritant and should not be used on the delicate skin of genitalia since it can cause a lot of discomfort. If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to take an oral antibiotic like Azithromycin once daily for 5 days. A topical antibacterial gel like Nadifloxacin twice daily would be fine. take care regards
Follow-up: Can I use salicylic acid cream for acne on labia? 25 minutes later
Yes it is recurring and there is no stinging or burning, sometimes there is just little pus filled pimples that disappear once the pus has drained and other times the pimples are red and a little uncomfortable when wiping. I went to my GP as once one side of my whole lab is swelled up and was very very painfully. She gave me fucidin H cream and pinaclavl 625mg to take orally it did clear up but since I still get these pimples. I did revisit my GP she just said not to worry about them, they are not ulcers or anything
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of herpes genitalis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the additional information. Sorry for the late reply. I would like to keep a possibility of Recurrent Herpes genitalis. Herpes presents as grouped well defined erosions on the labial or vulval mucosa. Symptoms are pain, burning, discomfort and swelling/edema. Herpes specially recurrent herpes is not very symptomatic and can resolve by itself within 5-7 days but it can recur again at a later date. Specific treatment is with an Antiviral like Acyclovir 400mg thrice daily for 5 days. Antibiotics are sometimes added by the treating doctor if there is superimposed bacterial infection of the erosions. I would advice that you see a dermatologist who would be able to confirm the diagnosis and treat appropriately. take care regards
Follow-up: Can I use salicylic acid cream for acne on labia? 39 hours later
Thank you Dr Kakkar I will get referred to a specialist Dr. I am with my husband for 25 years and neither of us has ever had other partners. I only started to get this problem last year. My husband does have the cold sore herpes 1 virus on his lips but has not got a break out in 15 years. I have never got a cold sore on my lips from kissing him but I understand it may be a possibility. My last pimple this week just burst open a lot of blood and pus came out after just applying pure Manuka honey to it for one night. It looked more like a boil to me. Thank you very much for your advice. But whatever my outcome I now know I have a natural cure for my problem.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Hi. I would normally advice in such a case, to take an oral antibiotic like Azithromycin 500mg once daily for 5 days OR Penicillin+clavulanic acid 625 mg thrice daily for 7 days. A topical antibacterial gel like Nadifloxacin OR Mupirocin twice daily would be fine. Since i don't have the opportunity to examine you physically therefore i asked you to see a dermatologist to rule out if it is herpes genitalis. Staph aureus colonization can give rise to recurrent boils. In that case one should get a lab test from pus for culture and sensitivity. Topical mupirocin is effective against Staph aureus and you could apply it over the lesions as well as perianally twice daily for 5 days to eradicate carrier state. Thanks for posting your concern on XXXXXXX