Can I use norethisterone to induce my period?

can I use norethisterone to induce my period?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 17 minutes later

Periods can be delayed due to various reasons as pregnancy, hormonal derangements, due to any underlying pathology, stress etc.

Norethisterone is a hormonal preparation and is prescribed when the periods have been delayed due to hormonal imbalance in the body, it helps in regularising the cycle and is given for a fixed time duration depending on the cause.

If the periods have been delayed due to pregnancy then it would not help.

It is utmost important to rule out the exact cause in your case. If you have a history of unprotected intercourse then pregnancy can also be suspected.

Kindly get a Urine test done at home to rule out pregnancy.If the test is negative then it would be better to get an evaluation done by a Gynaecologist so that further line of action can be decided.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available in case you have any concerns.

Follow-up: Can I use norethisterone to induce my period? 1 hour later
I am 1 week late and need to have an operation in 2 weeks overseas when I cant have my period. I am not preganant. I already have the medicine which was due to delay my next period but now I dont know when to take it
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

For delaying the periods Norethisterone can be taken but it has to be taken 3 days before the expected date of period until the time you want to delay it and not more than 20 days. After stopping the medicine periods start within 3 to 4 days time period.

But if it is taken in other time of the cycle then it has to be continued for about 10 to 14 days depending on the phase of the cycle.

Kindly discuss with the surgeon before the surgery, regarding any medicine which you have been taking.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.