Can I use moist heat and cold compress for sciatica pain?

Apr 2014

Have had some sciatica pain and also started with pain on the bottom of my foot heel to be exact thinking planter fasheitis sorry about the spelling and pain on and off in my right calf on the outside I am a waitress, saw the Doc and he thinks it's a combination of sciatica and the planters. Not red or swollen or warm to the touch, told to use moist heat and cold compress. He will do x-ray if it doesn't go away.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You may have disc prolapse and plantar fascitis. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX According to history you may have degenerative disc prolapse of spine in lumbar region and plantar fascitis. Calf pain and foot pain may be due to lumbar disc prolapse and plantar fascitis respectively. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. You need routine investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,Lipid profile,RFT,Serum calcium and vitamin D level. Firstly you need exclusion of lumbar disc prolapse.You need X-ray of L/S spine in AP/Lateral view.Then MRI of L/S spine should be done to assess nerve status. Degenerative changes occurs in spine due to aging and development of weakness in annulus fibrosis which allows herniation of disc. Treatment for lumbar disc prolapse includes physiotherapy or surgery. Effectiveness of both modalities are same.So,physiotherpay should be tried first. It causes strengthening of Para spinal muscles and it prevents further changes. Surgery should be the last option. There are also medicines like capsule pregabalin available for pain relief. Other pain relieving modalities are Ozone ablation,Radiofrequency ablation,percutaneous disectomy etc. Treatment can be planned after consultation with neurosurgeon. You should also modify your life style like don't abruptly bend forward and avoid standing for long time.Don't lift heavy objects. For foot pain you need X-ray of foot in lateral view.It may be associated with calcaneal spur. Its treatment include rest, microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulator treatment,massage therapy, stretching,night splints,heat and cold therapy,anti-inflammatory medications, injection of corticosteroids and surgery in refractory cases. You should also wear shoes with good support and cushions. You are rightly taking calcium and viatmins.Continue your medicines. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX