Can I use metformin for any type of thyroid disorder?

Please advise if Metformin 500 mg is used for any type of thyroid disorder
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 47 minutes later

Thanks for your query to this forum.

Metformin is not used in isolated thyroid disorder; if patient is diabetic, then it is used routinely as it improves insulin sensitivity.

Levothyroxine can increase blood sugar level, and we need to take care of blood glucose in case of diabetes and Hypothyroid. In hypothyroid, if patient is taking metformin, then it may suppress secretion of TSH hence in such case FT3, FT4 and TSH should be used to monitor thyroid function and dose of Thyroxin should be adjusted accordingly.

Other condition could be metabolic syndrome, Obesity, and PCOD (Polycystic ovarian disease).
In such condition metformin may improve insulin sensitivity, reduce weight and improve thyroid function (by reducing TSH)

Hope this information is useful to you. If you have any further query, please do ask. I will be happy to help you.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Can I use metformin for any type of thyroid disorder? 20 minutes later
So if this medicine is used for a type of thyroid condition then it would combined with Thyroxin, correct?

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 32 minutes later

Thanks for your follow-up.

If any condition is associated with Hypothyroidism, then Thyroxin will be used,
I would like to know exactly what the problem is and why this query came to your mind; if you share, it would be great.

If there is anything more, I will be available for clarification if any.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Can I use metformin for any type of thyroid disorder? 36 minutes later
Certainly, not a problem at all. My stepdaugter who is 16 is on the Merformin medicine and she says it is for a thyroid condition. However about a year ago supposedly her peditrian advised that she was borderline diabetic. Now keep in mind she is 5"2 and weighs about 210 lbs. I am not sure I am getting the truth out of her or her mother. I being a stepmom can't obtain medical records and I am afraid that they won't give the information to her dad who is my husband. I am really concerned because I want to help her, but I have to know the truth. Do you see my concern? Any help woud be greatly appreciated from a medical stand point.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for your valuable input,
I really appreciate your concern.
I have gone through your daughter’s health details, which you have given and following are my comments:
1) She is overweight, in fact she is Obese with BMI of 38, maybe she is having metabolic syndrome which can cause borderline Diabetes.
2) She is taking Metformin for Obesity and not thyroid, I presume.
3) She is young and need to take care as she should lose weight gradually after proper medical check up and investigations,like Thyroid function.
4) Please take care of her diet and Physical exercise to lose weight.
Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. If yes, please rate my answer and close this discussion.
If you want to know anything more you are welcome to revert back to me, I will be happy to help.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D