Can I use melanocyl ointment along with diplene ointment for post inflammatory hypopigmentation?

Jan 2014

,,,,,i wanted to know that is melanocyl ointment used in post inflammatory hypopigmentation,a dermat has prescribed it to my son,11 yrs old,along with diplene ointment[clobesonate] diaagnosing his condition as post inflammatory hypopigmentation,,
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Melanocyl oint contains Psoralen. Be careful!! Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing in to XXXXXXX Melanocyl ointment contains psoralen (8 methoxypsoralen). It is commonly prescribed by dermatologist primarily for VITILIGO patients. Method of use is to apply on the affected area and after 30min expose that area to sunlight for 2-5 mins. Its an aggressive modality of treatment considering that your son has just Post-inflammatory hypopigmentation (I hope your treating dermatologist was'nt in some doubt of it being a vitiligo?) considering that it has some serious side effects like Phototoxicity and blistering if the application site is exposed a bit longer to sun (for example 2-5 min sun exposure might be safe and effective but 10-15 min might cause blistering and pain). Diplene is a superpotent steroid containing clobetasol and in my view it is not rational to prescribe it for Post-inflammatory hypopigmentation. Moderately potent steroids like fluticasone are rational therapy for Hypopigmentation but not superpotent steroids like diplene(clobetasol) If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to apply Tacrolimus forte ointment or solution 0.1% twice daily on the hypopigmented area. Its a first line treatment without any serious side effects Another choice would have been a moderately potent steroid like fluticasone twice daily for 2-3 weeks. Take care regards Dr. kakkar