Can I use marvelon, desogestrel and ethinylestradiol as an contraceptive pill?

I am in Dubai where the morning after pill is banned but I need emergency contraception asap.

I am trying to figure out which of the contraceptive pills that are available here will work as emergency contraception. However, I cannot find one with progestin (levonorgestrel) - the combined pills here all seem to be ethinyl estradiol + desrogestrel. Can these be used as morning after pill?

The one i have bought is Marvelon. 1 tablet is 0,150 mg desogestrel and 0,030 mg ethinylestradiol. How should i take this..?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there..

Emergency contraception is best by Levonorgestrel 1.5mg single dose within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
Other method is using combined oral contraceptives. Marvelon can be used as emergency contraception. Two doses are taken. First dose of 4 tablets each within 72hours of intercourse. The second dose of another 4 tablets to be taken after exactly 12 hours of the first dose.
The only problem with use of ocps as emergency contraception is less patient tolerability. Nausea,vomiting,headache,dizziness,fatigue,breast tenderness,menstrual problems are the common side effects. Any delay in the intake of emergency contraception does not guarantee protection from pregnancy.
Emergency contraceptive pills are fairly effective in preventing pregnancy
from unprotected sexual intercourse though not 100%. So you
should keep this is mind.
Third option of emergency contraception is to get a copper intrauterine device (IUD) inserted. This has to be done within 5 days of unprotected intercourse.
All intercourse do not result in pregnancy but which one is going to land in pregnancy no one knows.

I hope I have answered your query.