Can I use Tamaflu to decrease the severity of my respiratory illness?

my family has been quite sick with a respiratory illness. My 30 year old son is the last to get it and he doesn't feel well today. My question is, can he use Tamaflu to reduce the severity of the bug?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Tamiflu not recommended for empirical treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Many of the respiratory infection are self limiting. Oseltamivir(Tamiflu) is a broad spectrum anti-viral effective against Influenza A, Influenza B and avian influenza(swine flu). Its indicated for both prophylaxis and treatment of these infection. Its usually administered in only high risk exposed patients and in patients with definitive diagnosis cases and highly suspected cases during outbreak. Its not recommended empirically for treatment of common respiratory illness to prevent emergence of resistance to the drug. Hence i would advise you to get your son thoroughly evaluated by Pulmonologist if his condition is not getting better. For uncomplicated cases, symptomatic treatment is all that is required. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing your son and family good health. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD