Can I use Niaspin instead of slo- niacin?

Dec 2012

I need to know if generic slo-niacin is as consistent in its content of active ingredients as prescription Niaspin? My main concern is my insurance will pay for Niaspin but not slo- niacin. Thanks. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They contain same generic ingredient

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Slo-niacin or Niacin (nicotinic acid) is used to prevent and treat niacin deficiency (pellagra) and niaspin has the same component. Both medications are used to treat the same conditions. Niacin is also known as vitamin B3, one of the B-complex vitamins.
Niaspin and Slo-niacin are brand names while niacin is the generic name. Niacin comes in 20mg dose.
Well I do not know your insurance's policy but I do believe that they obey the doctor's prescription so I should not take it hard on them but for some reason if you wanted to get slo-niacin then it is best you get a doctor's prescription for it and if you have, then just present it to them and they will be able to pay.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah