Can I use Melacare cream while breastfeeding?

Can I use Melacare cream while breastfeeding? I have developed pigmentation since post pregnancy; this cream is sure helping but wanted to confirm if it can affect my baby? Also, can you suggest an alternate if this is unsafe.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
If I were to answer your question in one sentence I would say:
"Skin bleaching is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding. The cream can get into the mother's bloodstream and travel to the fetus or to the milk to neonate".
Let us be specific to Melacare by XXXXXXX Pharma Ltd. . Information from the company reveals:
What are active ingradients of Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone) used for?

Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone) is a topical cream containing 3 active ingredients, which work together to treat swelling, itchiness and redness caused by dermatitis and various other skin conditions. The active ingredient hydroquinone can lighten dark patches of skin by preventing the process in the skin that causes discoloration. Tretinoin is a retinoid, which is able to reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles, and is also sometimes used to treat acne. The third ingredient, mometasone, is a corticosteroid which reduces swelling and inflammation.

How should one use Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone)?

Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone) is applied to the skin directly. You may be told by your physician to apply it once per day. You should apply a thin layer of cream to the skin, and gently rub it in. It is important not to use this cream for a prolonged period. Only use it for the period of time for which it was prescribed by your physician.

What are the side effects of Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone)?

Some side effects of Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone) include:
•Itching or irritation of the skin
•Thinning of the skin
•Skin irritation
•Burning sensation

If you notice any side effects while using this cream to treat skin conditions, you should consult your physician.

Please Note

Strictly follow all instructions provided to you by your physician or pharmacist while using Melacare Cream (Hydroquinone/Tretinoin/Mometasone). Optimum and safe dosage can differ based on the patient and the condition being treated.

As this medication may be unsafe for certain patients, it is essential you ALWAYS INFORM IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR BREAST FEEDING , as well as if you have any allergies, other illnesses, or ongoing health conditions, and if you are taking any other form of medication, supplements, or herbal products. No harm done, you asked question in right time. Good luck to you and your baby.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW