Ask a Dentist   »  

Can I use Biaxin for pain due to an abscessed tooth?

Hi, I think I may have an abscessed tooth right now and I'm out of state from my dentist, however I have biaxin with me which was prescribed to me for a stomach ulcer (I haven't used this medication because my GI doctor prescribed something different.) Anyway, I was just wondering if I could use the Biaxin(500mg) to help with the infection until I could get back home... Just trying to get the pain to go away.. Thank you so much for your advice...
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Augmentin is preferred choice. Detailed Answer: Hello There, I understand your concern. Baxin (clarithromycin) which is a macrolide antibiotic is not that effective against tooth abscess. Further you will need antiinflammatory drugs to take care of pain and inflammation. Augmentin (ampicillin/amoxycillin + clavunic acid) is preferred choice of antibiotic here. I wouldn't advice you to use baxin for tooth abscess. You can visit a local dentist or an urgent care clinic and discuss your concerns. Abscessed tooth might need a root canal treatment. You can get this done after you get back home. Wishing you a healthy recovery! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.