Can I travel by flight if chest x-ray shows hole in lung has closed?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello I am 26 years old I weigh 117 pounds and I am 5'2. Four months ago I had a chest xray because I had a bit of difficulty breathing. The doctor found out I had a small hole on my one of my lungs and he said most of the time this hole can close by itself but that I can't travel by airplane for now or any deep swimming. A month ago I went back to do another chest xray to see if my lungs closed and it did, but the doctor said since it just closed to not get on an airplane. I want to go to a family vacation next month which will be 3 months later after my whole closed. Do you think I can take this trip. I am scare of getting in a plane because of this and i think I might catch a panic attack thinking I cant breathe when I can and then I will think I am dying. I really want to go but I am scare. Please give me an advise. Thank you!
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 34 hours later
Brief Answer: A delay is advisable after a pneumothorax closes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on HCM. After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. A few additional details will help - Have you ever smoked? Do you have any previous lung problems? Was there any other abnormality in the Xray other than the hole? What was the exact reporting of Xray chest? Was a CT scan of thorax/chest done? If yes what was the reporting? Do you know the exact diagnosis that the doctor had conveyed to you / as per the reports? What was the cause of pneumothorax? 2. Normally a minimum of 2 to 6 weeks of gap after healing of pneumothorax may be ok before a flight travel. Since there is a risk of recurrence, hence airtravel is usually avoided after an episode of pneumothorax. If the underlying lung is diseased then it is best to avoid air travel for a year after closure of pneumothorax. 3. You need to get yourself clinically evaluated by a Pulmonologist since the exact opinion of flight fitness can be had after your detailed clinical examination only. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Can I travel by flight if chest x-ray shows hole in lung has closed? 4 hours later
I never smoked and drink only on occasions like holidays. Doctors said that it is very uncommon but it does happen to healthy people. The small hole, closed after a month. I wonder if maybe taking a lot of hot showers n breathing the hot air could have caused it. You recommend air travel after a year of it being close? Thank you. Doctor had no explanation of what could have caused it since I always been healthy. 2 months before I got a hole on my lungs, I drank something that I didnt know i was allergic to and I was struggling to breathe and I called 911 and my blood pressure went to 188/198, because of my allergic reaction. I dont suffer from blood pressure, it went high because of what I drank that I didn't know I was allergic to one of the ingredients. Do you think that could have cost my pnemothorax? Thank you for your quick response

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: minimum of 6 weeks delay required. Detailed Answer: Hi, It seems to be a case of primary spontaneous pneumothorax and a minimum of 6 weeks of delay for air travel in consultation with your doctor should be ok. Allergic reaction leading to pneumothorax is unlikely. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist