Can I take protein shake after or while exercising?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I am 33 year old man. married and I have a 5 yrs old boy. I am 5.7 feet tall and 74 kgs. recently I started some exercises and going to gym. I am trying to work hard on my body now a days. I want to know if I can take any protein shake as my coach is suggesting me to take one before or while exercise. If you suggest me one, which brand I should go which does not have a side effect and what will be the in take quantity every day. Please suggest
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Weight
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 2 days later
Brief Answer: Supplements may be taken with increased activity Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting the query. With the increased physical activity you would need some additional calories to let the dietary protein work for the muscle building. This is called as the protein sparing action, of the carbohydrates. Therefore, cutting down the carbohydrates totally or reducing it considerably would seize protein do its intended function of muscle building. Make sure that you include enough carbohydrates in your diet. Choose from the foods rich in insoluble fibres like whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and whole wheat pasta. Include the protein rich foods for muscle building. Foods like egg white, lean portions meat, dried fruits and nuts, legumes like rajmah, nuts , channa, soybean and its products like tofu etc. are very good sources of protein. Make sure that you include plenty of low fat dairy products as well. These would not only provide protein but are good sources of calcium. Include sprouts, natural peanut butter, sugar free yoghurt, boiled channa and soy chaat and soaked dry fruits in the daily diet. You can try the protein supplements like Resource High Protein (nestle), Protinex and B- protein. These are available in most of the pharmacies. Make sure that you take these as per the printed instructions. Protein rich foods or drinks should be taken after the workouts for maximum effect. Ensure that your body is sufficiently hydrated to make for the water losses through sweat and perspiration while exercising. Be persistent with the diet to help you activity regime to be successful. Hope this helps you. Meenakshi