Can I take moviprep and get a colonoscopy done while pregnant?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
can I take moviprep and get a colonoscopy done during early pregnancy? I discovered I am pregnant yesterday and I could be maximum one month pregnant and my colonoscopy procedure is this friday
also what is the best laxitive to use during my pregnancy? will using dulcolax be safe? I tried miralax and took up to 4 doses and did not pass waste for over 2 days. So I went back to using dulcolax. Also follow up on my previous question the doctor did mention i will be sedated during the colonoscopy, will the sedation be harmfull to the baby?
additional question is that since I did not know I was pregnant I drank over new years excessively, I also took 2 abdominol xtrays one standing and one lying down last week preparation for the colonoscopy and finally I did take the morning after pill 3 weeks ago but obviously it did not work... I am now worried that I have damaged the baby with all this and the risk of having an abnormal baby. Please help.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
In the first trimester of pregnancy- till first 12 weeks the procedures like colonoscopy are not recommended until there are any life threatening indications for such a procedure. You can inform your doctor regarding the pregnancy and get the procedure rescheduled.
Laxative pills are NOT recommended for the treatment of constipation during pregnancy because they might stimulate uterine contractions and cause dehydration. Natural fibres like metamucil are usually used.
An unintentional exposure of X-rays to the unborn baby in the first trimester is a matter of worry. But in most of the cases the exposure does not exceed the limit of 5 rads which is considered XXXXXXX and causes congenital malformations during this time.The risk to you and your unborn child is very small, and the benefit of finding out about your medical condition is far greater.
You can consult your gynecologist for further multivitamins and folic acid recommendations.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Can I take moviprep and get a colonoscopy done while pregnant? 16 hours later
Can I find out if the baby has congenital malformations? if so in how many weeks can we test for that?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

All the congenital malformations are not detectable by investigations.

The best one will be triple screen done at 20 weeks gestation. You can consult your gynecologist for further details.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.