Can I take metronidazole and doxycycline hyclate for trichomoniais?

Will me taking metronidazole 500mg and doxycycline hyclate 100mg for 14 days 2x a day cure my trich? I'm on day 11 and still itching!
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Metronidazole is treatment of choice for trichomoniais. It is actually equally effective if taken as one 2g dose or as 500mg taken twice a day for 7 days. At the moment 5% to 10% of persons may be resistant to metronidazole and this may be the reason you are still experiencing symptoms.

If it is thought that a person is resistant then a stat dose of 2g can be given or tinidazole can be used instead. Tinidazole can be taken as a single dose of 2 g.

Doxycycline is an antibacterial agent and would not be effective for trichomonas because this infection is caused by another type of organism, called protozoa- this is not a bacteria.

Doxycycline would be effective in treating gonorrhoea and chlamydia which are sexually transmitted infections caused by bacteria.

At day 11, your infection should have resolved by now, since you are still experiencing symptoms you may want to consider re visiting your doctor for another swab to determine if there any additional infections that may be contributing to your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions