Can I take increased dosage of Glycomet instead of SR in the morning?

My FBS was 298 mg/dl and PPBS 394 mg/dl 2 months back. I was put on Zoryl-1 ( Glymiperide1mg) twice daily before food and Glycomet 500 SR ( Matformin ) twice daily after food. After 1 month FBS was 212 mg/dl and PPBS 296 mg/dl. Both drugs were increased to thrice daily. Now FBS is 119 and PPBS 160 mg/dl. Do I need to change the drugs / dosage / timing or continue as before. What about subtituting with Glycomet 500 mg plain instead of SR in the morning and noon and for the night of course SR itself. Waiting for your reply . Thanking you
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Change sustained release preparations, Detailed Answer: Dear sir According to your query, your blood sugars are well controlled with the help of metformin sr 500 mg thrice a day and glimeperide 1 mg thrice a day. Secondly your question is regarding metformin 500 mg and metformin sustained release.. If I am not wrong, let me brief you some points. Your age is 64 yrs, you need to monitor serum creatinine (blood test for kidney function) well with in normal range. If it goes above 1.6 mg/dl then most of the medicines demands reduction in its dosage, these drugs incudes metformin and glimeperide.. Sustained release preparation such as glycomet sr will act formore than 12 hours and its actions remain upto 16 hours approximately. It can be taken twice a day easily, but if you want to take metformin three time a day then it is better not to opt for sustained release preparations, it is better to go for immediate release preparations which acts fir 6 to 8 hours. So consult your doctor and change the regimen Secondly monitor serum creatinine and select the regimen accordingly. Thanka
Follow-up: Can I take increased dosage of Glycomet instead of SR in the morning? 21 minutes later
O.K. I will opt for Glycomet SR 500 twice daily fortime being, do serum creatinine and then proceed. Once again thanks .
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sure you can do it Detailed Answer: Dear sir Sure you can do. But it depends upon the renal functions. Please monitor it. Thanks