Can I take horseback riding lessons after hip replacement?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Good morning,
I am 56 and had a hip replacement 15 years ago due to damage from AVN on the left femoral head. The replacement was not cemented. I am considering taking horseback riding lessons and wonder if it is safe. I do have MS and at times balance can be a bit of a challenge.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Yes you can take horseback riding lessons after non cemented total hip replacement.

To make it more safe follow certain instructions like-

The horse you plan to ride needs to be as well-trained as they come. There can be no bucking, rearing, kicking, running or any other vices. Do not mount a horse that you don't trust.

Always start slow and wear your riding helmet. Your lower body will not be as strong as it was before your surgery, and you need to take some precautions until you build up your balance and strength in the saddle. Make sure your saddle is neither too big nor too small. You must be able to sit comfortably, and start slow.

Do turns, backs, reverses and other balance exercises to build up your lower body muscles again. Eventually, as your body responds, you may speed up. But if at any time you feel unsure, slow down. Do not risk a fall.

You should never ride alone.

If you do take the above mentioned precautions, you have no reason to be apprehensive.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.