Can I take half of the lisinopril-hctz 20-25 mg tablet?

Can I cut a Lisinopril-HCTZ 20-25 mg tablet in half? My blood pressure was 142/102 before taking first pill - now next day it is 90/60.
By the way - this is the first blood pressure medicine I have ever taken - and I take no other prescription medicines. I now have purchased a blood pressure monitor and intend to regularly check it.

I am a Ph.D. researcher and am not comfortable with use of an ACE-inhibitor unless absolutely necessary. I would prefer a natural way to control this - and am working on reducing weight, salt intake and I would like to take garlic and/or L-arginine and L-citrulline instead. As I lose weight and get my blood pressure under control, how can I make a transition to natural blood pressure supplements? Can I just stop cold XXXXXXX on the Lisinopril-HCTZ 20-25 mg or cut it in half? I am worried about concurrently using natural and the Lisinopril-HCTZ 20-25 mg tablet.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

If you are experiencing hypotension with the use lisinopril you can definitely use the half of it. It is not necessary to take tablet daily. As you have got your own blood pressure monitor so, you can monitor your blood pressure regularly and when it is high you can take the medications otherwise you can avoid the tablets.

The blood pressure control is very difficult once you have been labelled as hypertensive. However efforts can be made like reducing the body weight, controlling the body cholesterol levels, dietary modification and avoiding salt contents. Regular exercise is also quite helpful for blood pressure regulation.

Once you have achieved the mentioned goals you can switch to natural remedies and if your blood pressure is controlled with their use, you can continue using them.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask.