Can I take glycomet to lose my weight when suffering from diabetes?

i do not suffer from diabetes but i am obese can i take glycomet 500 to loose weight
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that Glycomet contains metformin which is also used for lowering the insulin resistance in conditions like PCOS etc.Metformin works by suppressing glucose production by the liver. But if you are not suffering from insulin resistance it may harm you . Although obesity can lead to insulin resistance by itself but there can be many other causes also like thyroid dysfunction . I will not advise you to take Metformin like that because every drug has its side effects . Take care . Dr. Shruti