Can I take garcinia cambogia to reduce weight while on tamoxifen?

Oncologist, Surgical
My name is XXXXXXX I have been taking tamoxifen for 1 year (breast cancer survivor). I would love to take garcinia cambogia to help me lose a few pounds! Will it interfere with my tamoxifen?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No evidence in literature

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thank you for the query. Before answering the question, I must admit that I have no personal experience of my patients ever using this herbal therapy for weight loss. However, after receiving your query, I searched the net and found out that garcinia cambogia had no proven record that it helps in weight loss. I am however not discouraging you from using it. As far as interaction with tamoxifen is concerned, there is no literature available to the best of my knowledge. I can however tell you that weight control is important and weight gain is a risk factor in breast cancer. Tamoxifen use is also veryimportant. My suggestion would be that you try out more established forms of weight control measures.
Follow-up: Can I take garcinia cambogia to reduce weight while on tamoxifen? 22 hours later
Thank you very much for your insight. I know that a few herbal supplements interfere with tamoxifen. However, I have read nothing on garcinia cambogia. I have only read that it is a great antioxidant (which I need anyways). If you have any other insight I would appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 6 days later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
As I read about Garcinia it is mainly because of Hydrocitricacid compound. It helps by preventing your liver from turning carbohydrates and sugars that you consume daily into fat. When fat is not produced and not stored you look slimmer. Some clinical studies say that it suppress appetite and keep your stomach fuller. It may control food cravings and reduce emotional eating.

The article also says to choose an extract which has at least 60% of HCA in it, else do not.