Can I take electroconvulsive therapy for major depressive disorder?

Hello, my name is XXXXXXX Hudson. I am 60 years and have been suffering from MDD and alcoholism. I no longer drink but still battle depression every day. The worst being the last 10 years. Have tried everything to the point that my psychiatrist asked me "Well what would YOU like to try this time?" Are you kidding? I have always said I would never commit suicide but now that my children are grown I am actually thinking about this more often. People say it is an irrational, selfish, act. But I see it as a very rational way to end the pain since nothing else works and frankly think it is more selfish of them to want me around in the misery I am in. I guess I'm wondering what you think of electroconvulsive therapy or are there any new treatments that I might not beware of? My baby brother suicided and as bad as it may sound, he found a way out of his unbearable pain. I just think some people were not made for this world. Would appreciate any words of help you could give. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ECT is a good option Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. It seems you are in one of the worst phases of depression and during depression you may not be able to think rationally. Suicide is one such irrational thought which seems logical when you are depressed and seems irrational when you are out of it. Antidpressants have improved a lot over a few years and there are plenty of options. But it seems that youbhave already tried most of them it wont make sense if I discuss a few of them. Still I would like to know if you have tried venlafaxine, mirtazapine, desvenlafaxine etc which have dual actions. Electro convulsive therapy these days better known as modified ECT is a good option for such resistant depression and all the more indicated if there are suicidal thoughts like in your case. It is advisable for you to go ahead with the ECT for remission and further continue with the maintainance ECT for a few months. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.